Can Dogs Eat Grapes/Raisins?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes/Raisins?

share Share

view 40572

Sponsored Links
Dogs like to eat human food. For dogs, a lot of fruits and vegetables are safe to eat. Some can provide nutrition, but some may cause extreme damage to dogs. Grapes and raisins do harm to dogs. They can cause severe symptoms and can even be fatal. Read on to see why dogs can’t eat grapes and raisins, understand the symptoms of poisoning, learn how to determine if your dog has grapes or raisins, and perform simple treatments. Most importantly, be sure to contact your veterinarian and quickly Take action.
read more
Sponsored Links

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

Definitely no! Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs and can cause acute (sudden) kidney failure in dogs. Although research has not yet pinpointed which substance in grapes or raisins can cause this response. Therefore, avoid all food related to grapes. Some dogs react more severely. According to the Animal Toxicology Control Center(ASPCA), they received 3,722 calls involving grapes and raisins in 2016.

Grape Poisoning Symptoms

This is urgent and needs to be addressed immediately. If he consumes one or more grapes or raisins, he may show one of the following symptoms:

  • Loss of appetite

  • Lethargy or weakness

  • Thirst and increased urine secretion

  • Dehydration

  • Abdominal tenderness

  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea within hours after ingestion

  • Decreased or no urine output

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Grapes or Raisins?

Contact your veterinarian as soon as possible, if left untreated, your dog may have kidney failure, which is almost fatal. Of course, there are some diseases that can cause similar symptoms as above, so if you are not sure if he has grapes or raisins, consult your veterinarian. They can provide further guidance so you don't need to vomit or perform other treatments unnecessarily.

When treating dogs that have eaten grapes or raisins, the veterinarian will first induce vomiting (if digestion has occurred in the past two hours and the dog has not vomited), then a gastric lavage may be applied, followed by the application of activated charcoal to absorb any residual toxins. Then intravenous infusion therapy will be started, the toxins will be flushed from the dog's blood, and the kidneys will continue to produce urine. If necessary, your veterinarian will give your dog medication to reduce vomiting and maintain kidney function. During this time, your doctor will monitor your dog's kidney function by regularly reviewing your blood routine.

Adopt a Dog

Hello ! This Is Skippy!

Skippy is 2 years old and weighs around 14 pounds. Skippy is a lovely and endearing dog. However, she will NOT be placed in a home with children, grandchildren, children who visit, or grandchildren who visit. Ideally, she will be placed in a home that does not have frequent new visitors or expect her to interact with strangers and are willing to confine her until their company has left. Once she's comfortable with her new family, she'll be fine, but this will require patience and discipline. The key word is PATIENCE in allowing her to get to know and trust you at her speed and the DISCIPLINE required to not smother her with affection until the two of you have become well acquainted. She requires ---an experienced handler--- as she has a high anxiety level and can be territorial. Move too quickly and she will nip. She is very happy to be at home with her people and enjoys long walks. She would love a large yard to get her energy out running and playing. She has a HIGH ENERGY LEVEL. She would do well with agility training or another high energy activity. Come meet and adopt Skippy and your 2019 is bound to overflow with happiness-plus! 

View More >
Sponsored Links